Have you ever gone to a great restaurant and ate something so good that you wished you could make it at home? Yea we have too… Here’s the recipe for Beef Empanadas..You’re welcome! 😄
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 lb. lean ground beef or pork
2 lg. ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 can (3 oz.) green chilies, drained, chopped
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp. chopped black olives
1 1/2 c. unsifted flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. shortening (Crisco best)
4 to 4 1/2 tbsp. cold water
1 egg yolk
TO MAKE FILLING:
In hot butter in large skillet saute onion until tender. Add beef and saute until brown.
2. Add tomato, chilies, 1 teaspoon of salt and bay leaf; simmer, stirring occasionally about 20 minutes or until liquid evaporated. Remove from heat, discard bay leaf. Stir in olives.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
4. Meanwhile, MAKE PASTRY: In medium bowl, combine flour, salt, shortening and water. Blend until mixture holds together like bread dough.
5. Divide pastry into 12 pieces on lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 6 inch round. Place about 3 tablespoons of filling in one half of each round, fold over other half.
6. Press edges together with fingers, to seal, flute edges. Cut slits on top of each empanada, brush with egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. NOTE: Packaged pastry mix can also be used and prepared as label directs then continue as in Step 5 for faster cooking it can also be cooked in deep fry oil.